The excitement of moving and packing isn’t just the stress of realising you can’t take every item of clothing with you and having to throw out that old dress. (You never wore it anyway but that’s besides the point, maybe it would have looked better in Swedish lighting?)

Paperwork. Yup

The biggest part of moving is remembering to pack everything important.
In no particular order here is what I have ready. Remember this may vary from person, but it’s a pretty standard list.

  • Drivers license (the paper part has been disregarded under recent law if you hold an actual card)
  • Birth certificate – I didn’t even think of this until my mum pointed it out. What am I going to do without her?!
  • Passport
  • P60, P45, P85 – Tax Documents
  • E106/S1 – Health Certificate
  • EHIC  European Health Insurance Care
  • Employment contract – I am still employed in the UK and can continue this work from abroad
  • Payslips

It’s a drag, unless you’re like me and had everything in a file ready anyway. After texting my mum proudly to inform of my superior organisation she simply text me back ‘swot’ Tack mam.

I’ve also had every document scanned and sent to myself through e-mail for an emergency back up. Whilst the majority of places will only accept original documents in the case of emergency it is better to have a scanned copy if you do happen to lose them.

Some of those on the list may have you confused, P what? E what? I’ve linked them to the official Government site for further information also.

P60 – End of year tax certificate, if you have been employed you should receive one of these at the end of every tax year in April. Regardless of how long you worked for the company, it shows how much you earn in the year, paid to the tax man, even if that amount is zero and also your national insurance contributions. I’ve had three jobs including my current and have been in the working life since the age of 16, so I have a few in my folder. –

P45 – You will receive this at the end of an employment, as said above I’ve had three jobs. One I am still at, so I have two of these in my folder. These provide information for you and your next employer of how much you earn, tax codes and when you officially left the company. You should hand this in to your next (UK) employer so they can get your tax right and hopefully stay off that dreaded emergency tax code.

P85 – Leaving the UK: Getting your tax right. You fill this form out online and either sent online or print and post. Fill this in if you have worked during the tax year you are leaving. In my case for example I work in the UK and have been paid in the current tax year to end April 2018, therefore I may need a tax recalculation to get a rebate. It is also needed to fill this form in so that HMRC are aware you have left the country, otherwise there may be an error with your taxing. Due a nice rebate? Great! Underpaid? Not so great, better find out sooner rather than later incase it builds up. Even if you only had one pay in the tax year before you left and didn’t pay any tax fill this form out, if you are unsure give them a call. Confused by the person you are talking to, don’t be afraid to just hang up and call again. Like most call centers some people are just better than others. Tip, whilst I may have had calls where I got through to someone straight away, during busy times the longest I have waited to get through to someone has been 1 hour 20 mins. Perhaps call when you’re at home and can do something in the background of the music with your phone on loud-speaker.

E106/S1 – National Insurance: Application for healthcare cover in the EEA. It matters to me not if you are a Brexit supporter or an Innie. As it stands we are still part of the EEA. Use this form to apply for health care abroad. As part of applying for your residency/tax number you’ll need evidence of comprehensive health care. Skatteverket (The Swedish Tax agency) asks for an S1 certificate, however in England and Wales we still call it E106.

Here are the numbers and opening times for contacting HMRC in regards to income tax.
They are open on the weekends except bank holidays.

8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday
8am to 4pm Saturday
9am to 5pm Sunday

0300 200 3300
0300 200 3319
Outside UK:
+44 135 535 9022




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s